Disclaimer

The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Comoros Government

Monday, May 25, 2015

Pre-departure and stuff

I depart for staging in about two weeks. I planned to spend the two month before departure in the States visiting my friends and family and making last minute preparations. I envisioned myself scurrying from one location to another with a giant "to-do" list right up until the end. Contrary to the experience of other volunteers, I have found that there isn't too much to do pre-departure. In my copious free time I try to study some French since it is spoken by governmental officials in Comoros, though not by most of the the population. I've been spending some time with my grandma learning to knit. I have been watching endless hours of documentaries and storing up audio books to stave off boredom during service. I have often considered going running (but then distract myself with something less productive and less strenuous).

Now that I have wasted away the month and a half I gave myself to prepare I find myself down to the wire. In a few days I leave for a week long trip to Seattle. Before that time I need to have my hair cut, extra passport photos taken, final purchases decided on and made, and I need to consider the most dreaded task- packing. Packing is something I think about often and seldom act upon. I have taken over the entire back room of my father's house. Piles of electronics, toiletries, and clothing await sorting to determine what will make the cut. I seek advice from anyone who will give it, even though I suspect that these are decisions I will have to make on my own. And I try to remind myself that people in Comoros have, you know, things. They have stuff. I don't have to bring all of my stuff from America. I can get it there. And it might even been culturally and climatically appropriate stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment